Our supplementary schools offer extra tuition for pupils aged between 5-19 years who attend mainstream school. They meet in term-time after school and at weekends, and are run by more than 25 community groups set up by parents throughout the Royal Borough of Kensington and Chelsea.
We help young people to increase their understanding, improve their grades and most importantly to build their confidence in learning. We offer formal revision or booster lessons in English, Maths and Science, as well as a range of other subjects not always taught in mainstream school.
- Mother tongue
- Trips away
- Sports & Fitness
- Arts & Crafts
Supplementary schools are available to everyone, and anyone can attend, but we primarily offer places to those who can't access other forms of extra tuition.
The Royal Borough of Kensington and Chelsea Partnership of Supplementary Schools can be joined by any supplementary school in the Borough. Follow the link to find out how to register your supplementary school.
More recently we have coordinated with Imperial College to deliver 'Discover Computing' workshops. Click here to find out more.
Facts For Parents
- Attending a supplementary school improves your child's ability to learn and understand their second language- as well as their own
- By improving their English and building on their cultural diversity, your child will learn skills that help with their understanding of their home language
- Everyone in the family gets on better when children can communicate well with grandparents and other relations
- A national survey found that eight out of ten supplementary school pupils said it helped them with their mainstream schoolwork
- Children attending supplementary schools can attain one grade level higher at GCSE
- Attending a supplementary school helps smooth the transition from year 6 to 7
Help For Supplementary School Teachers
If you are already running a supplementary school, our training programmes can help you with developing those essential management and assessment skills.
You can attend courses to learn about:
- Child Protection
- First Aid
- Financial Procedures
- Employment Law
- Health and Safety
- Mentoring Support to achieve the Quality Framework Award
If you're a member of the RBKC Partnership of Supplementary Schools, we can also give you free teachers' textbooks and resources and you can use our resource centre for meetings or activities.
To find out more information please call 020 8962 5720 or email firstname.lastname@example.org