Westway Trust is offering a partnership on the operation of 3-5 Thorpe Close.Â The Trust will be taking responsibility for the overall running of the space in partnership with a cafĂ©/bar/restaurant operator.Â This is a fabulous cafĂ© / restaurant / events space in the heart of the estate with over 3000 sq.ft of space.
We want this space to reflect and respect to the history of its use.Â For example, the opportunity that it presented for the music from the African Caribbean diaspora and local music scene, and the engagement and potential economic opportunities for local people. We want it to welcome all communities and visitors to the area.
The front of the space which is the cafĂ© / restaurant has a balcony overlooking the beautiful Portobello Green and there is a large, flexible events space is at the rear.Â We have recently refurbished this first floor space and have plans to install a lift within 6 months.Â
This is one of a number of cafĂ© / restaurants on the estate. We consulted our community and to find out what they thought was needed.Â To find out the results of that consultation you can go to: 3 Thorpe Close Transcript document (westway.org)
We are now looking for a viable and experienced operator to open, manage and run the bar and cafĂ© / restaurant as a joint licence holder and work with us in running the events space.Â We are offering a rolling contract to ensure the space can launch well and build a stable operation.
What is included
- A good cellar for storage/shared storage
- A reasonable size first floor office for operation
- A cafĂ©/bar/restaurant space of about 1600 sq ft.
- A mobile cloak room in the space
- Potential for a 2 person âwork podâ in the space
- A bar, with a counter and 3 double glass fronted drinks display cabinets, 1 glass dishwasher, 1 ice maker and a range of glasses,
- A fully equipped kitchen with 1 electric chargrill; 1 electric oven with 6 hobs, 1 electric double fryer, 1 upright fridge, 1 upright freezer, 2 dishwashers, 1 canopy extractor.
- A servery area with a counter, with stainless steel top.
- The space has a refurbished accessible WC and other refurbished WC facilities.
- There is an office for the âoperatorâ and an additional office for Westway Trust staff and / or visiting events staff.
Note: Â This equipment remains the property of the Westway Trust and must be returned after the period.Â Equipment can be removed and not included if not needed or desired.
What else is in the space
- A cloak room
- A storage room.
- An approx. 1800 sq.ft event space with a sound booth.
- The Westway Trust will want the cafĂ© / restaurant to be the preferred supplier for the events space.
- The Westway Trust will retain a proportion of the use of the events space by negotiation with the cafĂ© / bar / restaurant operator.
- The Trust has not provided fixtures and fittings or furniture as we would like to leave leeway for the operator to create the ambience they think would serve their idea.