The funds for the Artist’s Commissions Programme have now been allocated. Find out more about the eight artists here and we will provide updates about how they are progressing. Please join the Arts and Culture mailing list and follow us on social media so you always get notifications and updates on funding and other opportunities here: www.westwayarts.org
Artist Commissions is a new pilot programme for early and mid-career artists to present an inspiring and eclectic range of artistic voices across the Westway estate. The programme distributes small but transformative bursary funds with support as a catalyst to further ambitions through trying out new ideas, promoting artists and helping them to take the next critical step in their careers.
We're seeking to commission the research and development of new work that imaginatively responds to themes related to 'Place'. Commissioned projects will need to include a presentation of some kind in a space on the Westway Estate. This could be a performance sharing, an exhibition, a street performance, an immersive performance, a screening or a showcase or something else to test your ideas and get audience and professional feedback. It could also be included in one of the festivals we support.
We welcome diverse artists working across all genres including music, sound, visual art, moving image, photography, digital artworks, installations, public art, theatre, dance/movement, live art, literature, spoken word and combined art forms. This is a commission for the development of new work that has not been previously shown.
- A £2,000 award for research costs, fees, materials, collaborators' fees, etc.
- A small separate budget of £500 for venue and technical/production costs.
- A tour of the Westway estate followed by a briefing and networking session for all commissioned artists.
- The Westway team will advise and support in finding the best space on the estate for your presentation. If the proposed venue is operated/managed by a third party, we will help to broker the partnership and associated venue and technical/production costs.
- Promotion of your commission process through Westway blogs and social media platforms.
- Marketing and audience development via digital marketing and/or invitations.
- Photographic and video documentation of your work.
This year we’ve commissioned eight exciting artists who are researching and developing new work that imaginatively responds to themes related to ‘place’. Commissioned projects will include performance sharings and exhibitions across the Westway estate between November 2019 and March 2020.