Beginner, Intermediate, Advanced
“Life Drawing is considered an essential component of an artist’s education”. It’s also rewarding and great fun, plus helps you develop your concentration and focus, which clearly benefits mental health and wellbeing whilst learning about the human body.
Join renowned local artist Ron Best for this relaxed 10 week course, with all levels welcome. Please bring your own materials (details below)
What topics will you cover
- Short poses, using charcoal and pencil
- Using lines to describe movement
- Using tone to describe depth
- Starting from the centre
- Using left hand and right hand drawing to improve your focus
- Design and composition
- Experiment with charcoal and collage
- Measuring the figure; looking and seeing different planes
- Explore the relationship between shapes of varying sizes
- Long pose, and detail
By the end of the course you will have
- A better understanding of anatomy and the underlying structure of the figure
- Developed skills in using different materials and media for drawing from observation
- Learned the value of simplification
- Completed drawings of a range of poses and gestures
How will I be taught? What kind of activities will I be doing?
- You will observe and sketch from a variety of short and long poses; standing, seated and reclining.
- You will be asked to look, and see the form of the figure in three dimensional space, developing tone, light and shape.
- Your tutor will provide whole group and individual support.
- Your tutor will give group and individual feedback, and you will be encouraged to share your work and your views with the rest of the group.
What will I need to bring? Where can I get this? What do we provide?
A2 sketch pad, charcoal (medium and thick), pencils (2B, 3B, 6B), eraser, chalk.
You can get these from any local art suppliers.
We will provide easels, drawing boards and some paper
Will I get feedback? What could I do next?
Students will be encouraged to continue their drawing practice outside the class, for personal development and to prepare a portfolio of work if desired.