ESOL Award in Speaking & Listening: Level 1
Are you a confident speaker of English? Can you communicate quite easily in your daily life and understand people around you? This intermediate course will help you speak with greater accuracy.
Throughout the course you will develop your fluency in conversations about everyday topics and interpersonal issues. You will practise how to exchange opinions, ask and answer questions on a range of topics such as the news, current affairs, music, sports etc. You will work on how to prepare and give presentations on a range of topics with a clear unified structure and effective introduction and conclusion.
At the end of the course, you will have the opportunity to take the Ascentis Level 1 ESOL Speaking & Listening exam if you are ready.
Is a pre-enrolment interview or assessment required for this course?
You will need to do a pre-course assessment to establish your level of English before enrolling onto the course.
What level is the course and do I require particular skills, experience or prior qualifications?
This is a Level 1 course.
This course is ideal for you if you are comfortable using English in everyday life but now need to become more accurate, increase your vocabulary, do well at work and express your ideas and opinions.
What topics does the course cover?
- speaking more fluently in conversations about everyday topics and interpersonal issues by learning how to link your words and stress the right syllable
- exchanging opinions and asking and answering questions on a range of topics such as the news, current affairs, music, sports etc.
- preparing and giving presentations on a range of topics with a clear unified structure and effective introduction and conclusion
- understanding details and responding appropriately to a variety of conversations and recordings e.g. radio programmes
- using a range of tenses especially perfect forms both simple and continuous
developing your use of the passive voice
- understanding the general meaning of different types of texts and extracting relevant information e.g. to research your presentation
How will I be taught and assessed? Will there be any work outside the class?
You will learn in a supportive and welcoming environment with an emphasis on your discovering how to do and complete tasks, with guidance from the tutor.
You will work on your own and with other students on different tasks so you are always practising important in-demand life and work skills such as problem-solving, decision-making, prioritising, negotiating, collaborating and independence. You will learn in a step by step manner so you can complete challenging tasks in enjoyable and relaxing ways. Your tutor will also work with you individually so you know how to improve and how to work in a way that improves your learning.
You will need to do work outside the classroom and complete homework as required.
Are there any other costs or equipment I need to get?
You will need a pen, some lined A4 paper and a file to keep your work in. Your tutor will provide handouts and worksheets and let you know if there are any other resources that you might need to get.
What will I achieve?
By the end of the course you should be able to:
- use your English to participate in general everyday life – at home, in the street and at work
- pass the Ascentis English ESOL Level 1 speaking and listening exam
- engage in everyday conversations including asking and answering questions using different tenses including present simple, present continuous, past simple, past continuous, present perfect and future forms
- pronounce auxiliaries (do, does, did, was, were, has, had, am, is, are) correctly in questions, answers and sentences
- speak fluently on common topics using different tenses – present simple, present continuous, past simple, past continuous, present perfect and future forms – with a good degree of accuracy.
- use a range of vocabulary to talk and write about topics such as life in the UK, different cultures, work, technology, health and enjoyment.
When I finish, what should I be able to do next?
There are few courses you can do after this course. These include:
• ESOL Level 1 – writing
• ESOL Level 1 – reading