Westway Trust is seeking a knowledgeable and passionate part-time Postcode Gardener to:
- Lead a programme around Notting Dale & North Kensington, to create greener neighborhoods and encourage community involvement through gardening.
- Work with the friendly Grounds and Gardens Team to ensure the green spaces across Westway Trust’s 23 acres of land are maintained to a high standard, looking healthy and beautiful at all times.
This role will be critical to ensuring management of a vibrant, diverse and thriving estate.
Key responsibilities of the role include, but not limited to:
- Support residents with greening their own spaces across Notting Dale/North Kensington.
- Respond to new requests for help and assistance in setting up gardening and greening projects.
- Source plants, materials and help manage an activity budget.
- Ensure all relevant health and safety standards and procedures are followed.
- Work with others in the Westway Team, volunteers and community groups, to maintain green spaces and local greening projects.
- Monitor and evaluate success of activity sessions.
- Routine maintenance to include, weeding, mowing, edging borders, raking leaves, daily litter picking.
- Nursery work – Sowing seed, pricking out, potting on, potting up, pot weeding and maintaining the nursery area.
- Cleaning tools and equipment and use of pressure washer.
- Use of garden machinery including, Pedestrian mowers, Strimmers, Back-Pack & Hand-held blowers, hedge-cutters (Chainsaw use and Woodchipper use – if trained).
Knowledge and Experience:
- Knowledge of cultivated and wild plants and gardening requirements.
- Knowledge of organic and sustainable gardening methods
- Basic computer skills including use of Microsoft Office. (Word, Excel)
- Experience of leading, motivating and instructing mixed-age groups from diverse backgrounds, running sessions and managing volunteers.
- Experience of building links with community groups and residents.
- Experience of helping plan small projects and managing small budgets.
- Experience of producing short progress reports and evaluations.
- Good knowledge of the local area would be beneficial.
- Friendly, outgoing and self-motivated with good interpersonal skills.
- Organised and energetic with good time-management skills.
- Confident communicator with good people skills.
- Good at problem-solving or solution finding.
- Reliable and flexible.
- Commitment to eco-friendly gardening practices.
- Ability to work independently and as part of a team in a culturally diverse environment.
About Westway Trust:
The Westway Trust is a unique charity that stewards the resources of 23 acres of space under the Westway A40. In 2019, a local community campaign ensured that the Board of the Trust is led by local people and the Westway Trust now works together with the local community to enable North Kensington to thrive.
Benefits of working with us:
- Great location in the heart of Portobello, North Kensington
- Investor in People (IiP) employer
- Generous holiday entitlement of 25 days per year + statutory bank holidays
- Free gym membership at health club one-minute walk from the office
- Pension scheme
- Life Assurance
- Sick pay scheme
- Season ticket / bicycle loan
- Free eye test voucher
To view the full job description click on 'job description' under 'Key Info' on the left hand side.
The application deadline is Sunday 3 December when applications will be reviewed and shortlisted for interview. However, we reserve the right to close the application early. An early application is strongly recommended.